Thursday, December 8, 2011

Better Late - USO Analysis for My Brother

Exactly one month ago (on Nov. 9), I had a quick Skype chat with my brother. Back then, Oil seemed to be going one way - UP. Tensions with Iran and some signs of life from the US economy sent oil prices soaring.
On our chat, my brother told me he was looking to take advantage of rising oil prices and invest in the USO ETF. I agreed that in the long run, oil prices will continue to climb higher. But my advice to my brother on our chat was:


[11/9/2011 10:55:24 AM] Roy : I think this is a very bad time to buy oil right now
[11/9/2011 10:55:32 AM] Roy : I can tell you that much
[11/9/2011 10:56:19 AM] Roy : I think at least some of the rise in oil prices is due to news from Iran
[11/9/2011 10:56:59 AM] Roy : but technically, this is a very RISKY place to buy oil
[11/9/2011 10:57:11 AM] Roy : and very little potential reward


I was in the middle of work, so our chat was cut short. I promised my brother I will give him a better explanation to support my view. Well.....I've been kind of busy so I'm just getting around to it today. Better late....so here's the explanation:
On November 9th, USO was on a thirty-seven day rally. During that time it went up over 27%. Despite the seemingly unstoppable climb there was a big problem on the chart. The risk/reward ratio was all skewed.
The closing price on Nov. 9 was exactly $37.00 but it was heading straight into a supply (resistance) zone at $39.22. This meant that the potential reward was two dollars and twenty two cents or 6%. But what was the risk? The way I saw it then, the real support for the price was way back at $29.10 or more than 21% below the Nov 9 closing price. So the risk/reward ratio in dollars was about 8 to 2 - which means you would have been risking $8 to gain $2 - terrible odds.
In the month since I chatted with my brother, USO has hit the supply area and pulled back somewhat. That's not to say that it cannot or will not break above $39 - it may very well do that. But if it does, a much lower risk entry would be on a pullback to the $39 area with a tight stop right below to contain risk.


Here's what it looks like on the chart (Click to see bigger image):

No comments:

Post a Comment